Name, role and department:
Damian Fleming – Assistant Facilities Manager-All Saints South
How long have you been at Manchester Met:
3 years +
Favourite thing about the University:
People watching -the different types of staff/students, different clothes-hairstyles and cultures.
I think ManMet is a great place to earn a living and Manchester is the greatest city in the world.
A typical working day:
- 07.00 Check emails on the train journey into work.
- Arrive early and call in all All Saints South buildings and action any issues.
- 09.00 I meet with the Facilities Manager and Team leaders to set priorities.
- 10.30 I have a meeting with Property Services regarding planned maintenance.
- 11.15 I meet with the Environment team regarding carbon reduction progress.
- 12.00 I have a working lunch with Human Resources to discuss and plan staffing issues.
- 13.20 Manage by walking about-show a presence.
- 14.45 PC work – MyHR/P2P.
- 15.00 Check in with the reception team for messages and forward plan for the following day and event management.
- 16.10 Another varied enjoyable day done (check emails on the train home).
What is your ideal weekend:
I am a bit lazy at weekends but I do enjoy the simple things in life like walking the dog with my family of three daughters and wife. Preferably a walk would include a few pints and some pub grub.
Interesting fact about you:
I was the youngest non-commissioned officer to open the bowling for the British Army on the Rhine cricket team at 17 years and 2 days.
What are you reading, watching or listening to at the moment:
I mainly read storybooks to my youngest daughter.
I enjoy watching Bear Grylls with celebrities.
I am listening to anything on Talk Sport.
Favourite place in the region:
Spotland-the home of Rochdale FC
Person you would most like to meet, past or present:
What items would take on a desert island and why:
I would take my Masala Dabba so that I could make myself Indian food. A tin of deodorant in case I had any visitors and a multi-pack of ready salted chipsticks because they are the king of crisps.
‘Five Minutes With…’ is one of our most popular and most read features. The short Q&A is a way for colleagues all around the University to get to know members of staff in different teams, departments and faculties.
The ManMetLife team are always looking for University staff to take part in ‘Five Minutes With…’ and getting involved is simple. All you have to do is:
- Download the ‘Five Minutes With’ template.
- Fill it in.
- Send it over to email@example.com with a photo of yourself.
If you want to nominate a colleague for the feature, just let us know who.
Read of some of our previous ‘Five Minutes With…’ Q&As here: https://manmetlife.wordpress.com/?s=five+minutes+with