Last Christmas break, between 24 Dec – 5 Jan, while many of us were at home relaxing and full of Christmas cheer, the university consumed 725,333 kWh – that is enough electricity to cook 210,826 roast dinners!
However, 30% of this was non-essential usage and could have been saved. With your help, we think we can reduce this, saving energy and money.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
Here are some useful tips before you leave for the Christmas break:
- Unplug all non-essential electrical appliances e.g. TV, microwave
- Close all the windows
- Turn heating off completely
- Make sure all the taps are turned off
- Clean out the fridge/freezer and check nothing is left in it
- Turn off the lights when you leave
- Dispose of all recycling and rubbish
You may want to pull together a Christmas shutdown procedure for your home or department – agreeing who will be responsible for ensuring all these things are done.
Manchester Met is committed to a 35% reduction in electricity usage by 2020.